About Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi – School of Postgraduate Studies
The Postgraduate work started at Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi in 1990/91 Session when the University senate empowered the Postgraduate Committee to enforce minimum requirements and to maintain standard of Postgraduate studies in the University. The National University Commission approved the establishment of the Postgraduate school in 1996. The Postgraduate school prepared the Regulations governing higher Degrees and Postgraduate Diplomas in the University and it was considered and approved by the senate at its 57th regular meeting held on 26th June, 1997.
All Postgraduate matters from the various Schools are channelled through the Postgraduate School Board which makes appropriate recommendations to Senate
The functions of the Postgraduate School include:
- Coordinating all the postgraduate programme of studies in the University, such as postgraduate planning, admission, registration and examination.
- Maintenance of postgraduate academic standards, and
- Monitoring and evaluating the progress of postgraduate studies in the University and submission of an annual report to Senate.
Function of the Programme Postgraduate Committee
The Programme Postgraduate Committee shall:
Make recommendations to the Senate through School’s Postgraduate Committee and the Board of Postgraduate School on the following:
- Postgraduate curricula,
- Postgraduate admissions of suitable candidates,
- Degree in view and field of study,
- Appointment of supervisors, registration of research titles, and extension or cancellation of registration of postgraduate students.
- Appointment of examiners,
- Postgraduate examination, consideration of results and award of higher degrees, and Initiate action on any postgraduate matter referred to it by the School’s Postgraduate Committee or the Board of the Postgraduate School.
The functions of the Board of Postgraduate School
The functions of the Board of Postgraduate School shall be:
- To regulate the conduct of postgraduate teaching and research
- To regulate the conduct of postgraduate examination and to receive from Schools, postgraduate examination results for onward transmission to Senate.
- To receive other recommendations from Schools on matters like postgraduate curricula, admission, registration, extensions, supervision, examination and award of degrees, and make appropriate recommendations to Senate.
- To regulate academic priorities and coordinate postgraduate work of the University.
- To recommend postgraduate programmes, fields and subjects of study through the Academic Planning Committee to the Senate and to foster the development of multi-disciplinary postgraduate work.
- To establish criteria for postgraduate supervision in the University.
- To prepare and submit budget estimates for postgraduate studies on an annual basis as well as on a long-term basis.
- To prepare annual reports for submission to the Senate.
- To prepare advertisement of all approved postgraduate programmes of the University.
- To establish Committees of the Board and elect their members
- To make rules and regulations for the effective day-to-day running of the Postgraduate School subject to approval of the Senate.
- To recommend periodically to Senate, a comprehensive review of the general regulations, progress and development of postgraduate studies of the University, and
- To deal with any other matter referred to it by Senate or the Vice-Chancellor.